Sunday, April 19, 2009
The finished commission
After reviewing my notes from the client, I realized I'd left off one of the elements she mentioned: a red - traditional barn building. To balance the composition, I added a bit of red to each side.
I was unhappy with the trees in the foreground which I originally painted as they were, complete with the angled lower trunks. It appeared they had all started growing on a tilt and then straightened out. It was disconcerting in the painting, however, and I took advantage of my artistic license to straighten up the offending subjects.
The very heavy - and still sharp saw blade was delivered Friday along with a similarly painted cross-cut saw and a farm sign for their driveway.
My next commissioned work is a landscape to be painted on the retaining wall below. Due to wet and still too cold weather, I've had to postpone starting this job for several weeks. I'm eager to see it finished; the purpose of which is to camouflage it into the natural setting. Black bears, tree trucks and large rock outcroppings will be included in the mural.
The house is built into a steep slope above a river used for tubing and kayaking. The challenge for me is access - as the staging area is soft earth with only three or four feet of space for platforms and ladders.
I'll try to post my progress - and problems - as I go.